Stand and Pray for Marriage
Supreme Court Oral Arguments
Tuesday, April 28, 2015
“For the LORD is our judge; the LORD is our lawgiver; the LORD is our king; he will save us." Isaiah 33:22 (ESV)
Marriage Cases before the Supreme Court Today
- OBERGEFELL v. Hodges- Ohio
- TANCO v. Haslam- Tenessee
- DE BOER V. SNYDER- Michigan
- Bourke v. Beshear- Kentucky
Oral Arguments on 2 Questions:
- Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex?
- Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state?
Time Allocation for Arguments
The Court has divided the 2.5 hours of oral argument time (90 minutes more than the usual 1 hour allocated for oral arguments) into two parts. During the first 90 minutes, it will focus on the “marriage” question. The plaintiffs challenging the state bans on same-sex marriage get to go first. Only one lawyer will appear on behalf of the challengers on the marriage question.
Also, Don Verrilli, the federal government’s top lawyer at the Supreme Court will have 15 minutes to argue on behalf of the federal government in support of the challengers/plaintiffs.
The Court will then move on to one hour of oral arguments, by two different lawyers, on the “recognition” question.
Arguments on the “marriage question”
Defending natural marriage:
- John Bursch, arguing on behalf of the states. -45 minutes
Arguing for same-sex “marriage”:
- Mary Bonauto, a longtime homosexual rights advocate -45 min.
- Solicitor General Don Verrilli on behalf of the federal government- 15 minutes.
Arguments on the “recognition” question.
- Douglas Hallward-Driemeier will argue on behalf of the challengers.-30 Minutes.
- Joseph Whalen, an associate solicitor general from Tennessee. Representing the states-(defending natural marriage) 30 minutes.
Supreme Court Justices
- Chief Justice John G. Roberts,
- Antonin Scalia
- Anthony Kennedy
- Clarence Thomas
- Ruth Ginsburg
- Stephen G. Breyer
- Samuel Alito, Jr.
- Sonia Sotomayor
- Elena Kagan
Some individuals in the crosshairs of the homosexual lobby
- Barronelle Stutzman of Arlene’s Flowers
- Aaron and Melissa Klein of Sweet Cakes by Melissa
- Elaine Huguenin of Elaine Photography
- Brendan Eich, Mozilla
- Chief Kelvin Cochran ,former Atlanta Fire chief
Access more video stories/ testimonies by clicking this link: http://marriageada.org/video-stories/
Praying for the Justices and the Lawyers
Reflection: “The God of Israel has spoken; the Rock of Israel has said to me: When one rules justly over men, ruling in the fear of God, he dawns on them like the morning light, like the sun shining forth on a cloudless morning, like rain that makes grass to sprout from the earth.” 2 Samuel 23:2-4
- Isaiah 1:26 Lord, please restore [our] judges as at first and [our] counselors as in the beginning.
- 1 Kings 3:9 Lord, please give your servants, therefore understanding hearts to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong.
- Isaiah 28:6 Lord, we ask that You will give a spirit of justice to those who judge. You will give strength to those who defend the city gates in battle.
- Matthew 6:33 May they seek first Your Kingdom and Your righteousness.
- Psalm 37:31 May they have the law of God in their hearts and they do not slip.
- Psalm 81:9 We ask that there will be no strange God among them and they will not worship any foreign gods.
- Proverbs 20:8 Lord we ask that, when a [the justices] sits in judgment, [they will] weigh all the evidence, distinguishing the bad from the good.
- 2 Chronicles 19:6 He told the judges, "Be careful what you do, for you are not judging for men, but for the LORD, who will be with you when you make judicial decisions.” We ask for Your Presence in the courtroom.
Heart Response: “The heavens are yours; the earth also is yours; the world and all that is in it, you have founded them. Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.” Psalm 89:10, 14 (ESV)
Praying for the Institution of Marriage
Reflection: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Genesis 2:24 (ESV)
- Lord, we repent for our communal disregard for Your purpose in marriage, and we pray for your vision and purpose concerning holy matrimony to prevail over our hearts, minds and daily living.
- Isaiah 45: 22 May we as a people turn to You and be saved, all of us in the ends of the earth; for You are God, and there is no other.
- Romans 12:1 May we all not be conformed to this world: but become transformed by the renewing of our minds, that we may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Hebrews 13:4 We pray that marriage will be held in honor among all, and that the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.
- 2 Timothy 3:12 Lord, make us aware that all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
- Isaiah 51:7 We thank you for this exhortation: "Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have taken my instruction to heart: Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals or be terrified by their insults. "
Heart Response: “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession who are zealous for good works.” Titus 2:11-14
Praying for Religious Freedom
Reflection: “The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.” Psalm 19:9-11 (ESV)
- Luke 4:18 We believe the words Jesus declared saying, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He has anointed Me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed.”
- Isaiah 35:4 We say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you."
- Galatians 5:1 We pray that we will indeed stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
- Psalm 119:45-46 Lord, we pray that we will walk at liberty: for we seek your precepts. We will speak of your testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
- Malachi 4:2 Lord, we ask for the fulfillment of this word in our lives and society. "But for you who respect my name, the sun of vindication will rise with healing wings, and you will skip about like calves released from the stall. "
Heart Response: “If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.” Daniel 3:17-18 (KJV)