Day Of Prayer In WilliamsburgJun 16, 2010
On June 1, The Family Foundation joined in prayer with the ad hoc Virginians for Liberty and more than 100 concerned fellow citizens in Colonial Williamsburg for a latter-day Day of Humiliation, Fasting and Prayer. The original such Day took place in 1774 and was called by the House of Burgesses when the British closed Boston Harbor and the crisis that action precipitated. This year's event, which we hope will be an annual occurrence, was for prayer to heal our land and restore the moral foundations that made America great.
Williamsburg-area resident Tom Morr organized the event, which included assembling at the Colonial Capitol on Duke of Gloucester Street and a walk to Bruton Parish Church where the participants prayed for the respect for life, marriage and the family, the protection of religious freedoms, a return of our government to its constitutional boundaries, and for God’s sovereignty in all things — and even sang some 18th century hymns. Delegate Brenda Pogge (R-96, Yorktown), Family Foundation President Victoria Cobb and several local area pastors led prayers, and Family Foundation Chaplain Bishop E. W. Jackson, Sr., provided a stirring closing prayer.
Bishop Jackson encouraged those present to join with the Family Foundation to work to ensure our liberties are protected, and encouraged Virginians to, "pray like it all depends on God and then work like it all depends on us." While the obstacles we face in state government can be great, we know that our God is greater than all.
The original Day of Humiliation, Fasting and Prayer. Sort of. A scene from Colonial Williamsburg's Story of a Patriot. To read the 1774 proclamation, click here.