Parents are ultimately responsible for the care and well-being of their children. And social science tells us that, generally, children are safer and happier within a traditional family with a mom and a dad. For years, government bureaucrats have worked from the perspective that parents are the problem and government is the solution. From education to health care decisions involving their kids, parents are all to often at the mercy of government.
The Family Foundation has made improving Virginia laws regarding parental involvement and decisions a priority.
What we are doing:
- Supporting Education Freedom | Virginia has a reputation for having good public schools, but parents in Virginia still want the freedom to attend a school other than the one to which they are assigned/a conventional public school. Momentum for education freedom continues to grow, and The Family Foundation plans to build on our school choice successes.
- Supporting Parental Involvement | from abortion to school activities to discipline issues, parents should be informed and involved in decisions regarding their children.
- Supporting Virginia’s Home School community | working with home school advocates protecting and advancing the rights and freedoms of home school families.
- Scholarship tax credit
- Protected parental rights as fundamental
- Educational Accountability in Schools
- Private School Families Access to Public School Transportation
- Required parental involvement for schools to survey children concerning sexual activity
- Local Option and Parental Notification for Family Life Education
- Internet Filters on Public School and Public Library Computers
- Removed school barrier to Kinship Care