Sign the petition!
Liberals want to make Virginia the 38th and in their words "final" state to ratify the outdated Equal Rights Amendment. Although the deadline for ratification has long come and gone and some states have rescinded their ratification, proponents believe they have a legal path to enact this into the US Constitution. Ratification of the ERA has hurts women Join us in stopping this harmful legislation.
Top 10 Reasons to Oppose the ERA
1. Transfers more power to the Federal Government - The ERA would give extensive new powers to the federal government that currently belong to the states. (Section II of the ERA states that “The Congress shall have the power to enforce by appropriate legislation the provisions of this article.”)
2. There already exists equal rights - Both women and men already have a full claim to equal rights under the 5th and 14th Amendments.
3. There already exists laws that prohibit sex discrimination - There are numerous laws in virtually all areas of American life (e.g. employment, education, credit eligibility, housing, public accommodations, etc.) that prohibit sex discrimination.
4. It has everything to do with abortion! - The ERA could be interpreted as enshrining in our Constitution a right to taxpayer-funded abortions because under the ERA there would be no difference between abortions and medically necessary procedures sought by men, so the state must pay for abortions under Medicaid.
5. Threat to Church tax exempt status - Hundreds of churches in Virginia will almost certainly be faced with a dilemma: Change your doctrines, policies, and practices regarding male-only clergy, or risk losing your tax exempt status.
6. Would empower courts to define “sex” - The courts would be empowered to define “sex” and “equality of rights,” which could grant special legal rights to people on the basis of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity,” which would threaten religious liberty and conscience protections.
7. Jeopardizes privacy and safety - Traditional male and female bathrooms, locker rooms, hospital rooms, nursing homes, etc. would be nullified because under the ERA women and men must be treated as indistinguishable. This would place our young children at risk and seriously jeopardize privacy.
8. It would supersede Title IX – The ERA would permit males and females to compete for inclusion on the same sports teams, as evidenced by Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court which invalidated sex segregated sports policies, including contact sports, citing the state’s ERA.
9. Auto and life insurance for women would increase - Regardless of the statistical evidence showing that women live longer than men or women have better driving records, women would likely have to pay the same rates as men.
10. Integrated prison system - Male and female prisons will become integrated according to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and result in harsher discipline for females since they would be required to be treated in the same way as men.
Blogs and Op-Eds
Cobb and Dannenfelser: Women should beware of the ERA - The Roanoke Times - January 17, 2019
Equal Rights Amendment Advances Pro-Choice Agenda in Virginia - The Daily Signal - January 11, 2019
Unexpected Action on Constitutional Amendments - The Family Foundation - January 7, 2019
Reviving the Equal Rights Amendment to Keep Abortion Legal - Charlotte Lozier Institute - December 21, 2018
VICTORY: Pro-abortion Equal Rights Amendment dies in Virginia House committee - Life Site News - January 23, 2019
Virginia House panel nixes ERA bills, in a major blow for feminist groups - Washington Post - January 23, 2019
Virginia senate passes pro-abortion Equal Rights Amendment; pro-life-backed alternative advances - Life Site News - January 16, 2019
Pro-life, pro-family activists sound alarm on ‘anti-woman’ Equal Rights Amendment in Virginia - Life Site News - January 14, 2019
Schlafly's legacy marches on against latest push for ERA - Washington Times - January 13, 2019
Family Foundation of Virginia speaks out against Equal Rights Amendment - ABC 8 News - January 11, 2019
Conservative activists urge lawmakers to reject ERA - NBC 12 News - January 11, 2019
House committee chairman who stopped ERA last year unsure if he'll schedule new vote - Richmond Times Dispatch - January 10, 2019
Virginia Senate panel passes Equal Rights Amendment - ABC 13 News - January 10, 2019
Virginia vote moves Equal Rights Amendment closer to ratification - USA TODAY - January 10, 2019
Family Foundation's Victoria Cobb Blasts ERA As An Abortion Trojan Horse - John Frederick Show - January 10, 2019
Susan Stimpson Talks About the ERA - The Schilling Show - December 19, 2018
Watch the press conference
Did you get to watch the press conference? We were honored to be joined by women who see the need to stand against the passing of the ERA in Virginia. See the full conference by clicking on the link below.